May 4, 2011

donuts

I was just about to head out of the hotel near MD Anderson to make a run to the grocery store.  My brother needed some over the counter meds that he was running low on.

"Anything else you need?"

"........You know what sounds good........You know those little powdered donuts?  How about some of those?"

"Absolutely"

I knew them well and a smile filled inside me.  When we were much younger, we used to live in the Midwest.  Periodically, we would pile into the car and make a pilgrammage to visit my dad's side of the family in Canada.  One particular border crossing, my brother thought it'd be funny to put the powder from those little donuts underneath our noses and start sniffing a lot and twitching.  Needless to say, my dad didn't find the thought of explaining his miscreant kids to a border guard very appealing so he quickly had us surrender the donuts to him.

There's not much lately that brings joy to my heart so whenever I find them, I hold onto them all the tighter.  The next morning when I came out of the shower, I found him in bed with a ring of powdered donut sugar around his mouth having dived into the bag for breakfast.  I'll hold onto that image the rest of my life.

No comments: