January 27, 2010

exams

I haven't blogged much because I'm cramming for the block I exams. Normally, I don't believe much in cramming but I had to out of necessity. I got sick right at the beginning of the semester and got about a week and a half behind. So I crammed away. This semester is different for me in another way, too. For immunology, the most recent old test to study was from 2003. For neurology, it's 1993. Needless to say, I'm guessing the questions and format have changed just a bit in that time period. As a gift from the class that preceded us, they gave us a dvd with a bunch of goodies. One was a guide on how/what to study for each class. For neurology, it's "memorize the syllabus". That's great. The syllabus for block I is 160 pages worth of material. Let me just commit to memory right quick. And that doesn't count the lab. Don't get me started on the lab. Never have I had a more disjointed, schizoid if you will, lab. Most of it is spent not analyzing and picking apart a brain like one would expect. No, it's all software stuff that where we're constantly being interrupted by the instructor or TA to spurt out some completely unrelated material or to take the two timed quizzes at the end of each lab. Well, back to cramming.

2 comments:

Steve Parker, M.D. said...

I couldn't imagine getting through medical school without cramming.

Isaac said...

Well, I use cramming in a relative sense. It's not like undergrad where you could cram everything down to a day to or two.