October 1, 2010

opportunity cost

It was about 11 o'clock at night and I was done studying.  Well, let me clarify that.  You're never really done studying.  There's always more material that could be reviewed or another concept that could be learned in greater detail.  There's just too much information possible.  You just reach a point where you've had enough and say, "I'm comfortable getting whatever grade I've earned at this point."  So I grabbed a giant glass of that elegant box wine and headed outside to listen to the toads.  On my vitex tree, I noticed quite a few moths dining on the nectar.  Then a small branch moved and a moth escaped with its life.  Peering in for a closer look, I saw a big ol' praying mantis with its forearms ready to do battle with a moth that strays too closely.  Just plain cool.


After watching it for a few minutes, a part of me was saddened.  A not-so-insignificant part of me has the heart of a field biologist and by opting for medicine, that in a very real sense closed the door on other opportunities.  I don't regret choosing medicine but that doesn't lessen that part of me that yearns for other possibilities.  Such is life.  So I enjoyed the brief bittersweet moment for what it was and saw what else I could find with my camera.

An anole sleeping amongst the leaves of my Mexican buckeye.

No comments: