May 2, 2010

different perspective

The 2nd round of chemo was graced by the presence of my wife sitting quietly in the corner knitting.  (I garden and she knits.  We've GOT to get some hobbies that aren't associated with nursing home age people.)  Afterwards, I asked her what she thought of the doctor.  Keep in mind that my wife and I are night and day, sun and moon, wet and dry.  We couldn't see the world more differently so whenever I want an honest perspective that I know wouldn't have occurred to me, I asked her.  Never knowing quite what to expect, she still suprised me by her one word answer.  Arrogant.  That's it?  Yup.  Huh.  I never saw him as that.  I was completely oblivious to it.  If I had to describe him in one word it would be 'competent'.  It ain't braggin' if you can back it up, after all.  Yes, he's cold and his bedside manner is not exactly effusing with warmth.  But hell, the man's got my brother on the most aggressive therapy, listens sincerely to any concerns we have, and even entertains my utterly naive oncology 101 questions.  I'll take that over warm fuzzies anyday.

And then it hit me, "you do realize that I'll be the same type of doctor?"  Yup.  Wouldn't be the first time I'd been accused of being aloof, cold, distant....arrogant.

4 comments:

Josh Van Sligtenhorst said...

I can see Katie's point of view on this one. He can easily come across as arrogant.

Isaac said...

Huh. Is it just a mild annoyance or is it problematic to you as a patient?

Steve Parker, M.D. said...

If the oncologist were terrribly arrogant, he wouldn't put up with your questions.

Josh Van Sligtenhorst said...

It doesn't annoy me. I'm fine with him. I am simply stating that I can see how Katie saw that in him.