March 21, 2010

dental school

There's a bit of antipathy between medical and dental students. Professors will joke, well sort of, that if you don't like it, you can go next door to the dental school After visiting the dental school to get some free work done by a 4th year dental student, I have a bit of insight. Dental students see themselves as oral doctors, which does make sense if you think about it. Med students wouldn't agree. I even heard one med student comment, "I see them on the bus in the morning and they're so....happy. That ain't right." I have a hunch that med students are A) a bit resentful of the claim that dentists are oral doctors and B) a bit jealous of the lifestyle of dentists. It's really quite a sweet gig. Four years of dental school and then they come out and start their private practice (unless they go on to specialization like oral surgery). No residency, no hell, more cash business, and to top it off, a lot of dentists take Friday off. I told the student I really do wish I could've gotten excited about dental school because it really is an appealing lifestyle. Alas, I was drawn inexorably to medicine. Such is the curse of following a call.

No comments: